Monday, May 21, 2007

Hamlet - "Had I but time...."

"Had I but time, -as this fell sergeant, death,
Is strict in his arrest, - O! I could tell you -
But let it be.."

The Shakespearean tragedy carves out the poignant and dramatic transformation of the character involved, the so-called protagonist. Hamlet had understood the truth of life but 'he didn't have time' to proclaim it to the world, so engrossed in committing the same blunders that he had. This realization of the truth of life dawns upon a human being when he has lived his life and death approaches, so he doesn't have the time to express.
But the unsaid words have a much deeper, long lasting and perpetual sort of impact on the reader. We, after reading the drama, emerge out as more refined human beings - refined in our sensibilities, refined in our outlook on life, refined in character and last but not the least refined in our minds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful thought has been presented in this post.I was also reminded of the following lines from Hamlet's speech later :
"Things standing thus unknown, shall live behind me.
If thou didst ever hold me in thy heart,
Absent thee from felicity awhile,
And in this harsh world draw thy breath in pain,
To tell my story."