Wednesday, July 04, 2007

'The Outsider' by Albert Camus

The hero of the novel 'The Outsider', Meursault is a typical example of an absurd character. His story parallels the story of Sisyphus - stripped of all illusions, extracts a grim acceptance of life from death and defeat, he deems life worth living after all he'd had. This novel without hope, even against hope, ends on a note of hope and promise.
When Meursault is condemned to death, he considers the question of beginning life afresh (here Camus is illustrating the absurdity through the myth of Sisyphus).
In a letter Camus wrote: "A man's greatness lies more in what he keeps to himself than in what he says." Meursault is an example of this great silence. During the trial one of the witnesses says about him: "Meursault didn't waste words."
Camus writes about Meursault's feelings at the end of the novel:
"I realized that I'd been happy, and that I was still happy. For the final consummation and for me to feel less lonely, my last wish was that there should be a crowd of spectators at my execution and that they should greet me with cries of hatred."

What an absurd yet so meaningful an end! I had read this novel as part of the syllabus of my post-graduation. I still feel this is one of the closest to my heart. I really sympathize with the character of Meursault. I feel his story is the story of all of us.

No comments: