Saturday, December 29, 2007

New Year Resolutions

The dawn of a new year is a time when we make new resolutions and have new dreams for the coming year. Often the resolutions are as easily broken as they were made.
My resolutions for the year that is going to ring in:
· Working hard towards making my blog a success
· Earning signed cheques from my blog
· Reading more and more about English literature to enrich my blog
Apart from the above mentioned blogging goals, I will strive to
· Acquire more knowledge
· Write more articles
· Get a good score in my exams
Have I not been too selfish? That is what the problem is with us humans. We only think about ourselves. We are so engrossed with the material things of life that life passes by us and we never notice; as W. H. Davies had rightly remarked: “we have no time to stand and stare”. Wordsworth too lamented over this worldliness in his sonnet ‘The World is too much with us’:
“The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:”

What is required is a balanced approach – money is not the be all and end all of everything, it should be treated only as a means. The blind chase of material goods and the currency notes has led us astray and we have forgotten our values and the qualities for which a man is considered superior to other animals. Rudyard Kipling in his poem ‘If’ has mentioned all those things which we need to follow. The last line says it all: “you'll be a Man”.
So my resolution for this year is to be a human – by fulfilling all the ifs mentioned by Kipling in his brilliant poem ‘IF’.
I would also like to express my views about the resolutions and wishes through a self-composed poem:

I’ll be a king,
A king I’ll be –
of my dream
my hopes and wishes
to control time’s stream.

I’ll be a flower, ever blossoming,
giving frangrance
to one and all;
with happiness
always be brimming.

I’ll be an aeroplane drive away from life
dark and gloomy clouds
of sorrow and strife.

I’ll be a lighthouse
having stately structure,
will guide the people
their hopes I’ll nurture.

Long list of my wishes
endless it seems – endless!
But oh! I forgot:
I forgot to be a man,
I was only being for now
I missed that ‘human’ part.
Now my aim I know – I’ll be a man,
a man I’ll be.


This post is an entry for theGTD Contest that is being hosted by Pimp Your Work

No comments: