Monday, May 24, 2010

The Wisdom

Pic src: Serenity
“God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.”

(‘The Serenity Prayer’ by Reinhold Niebuhr)

If someone asked me whether it is Reinhold Niebuhr praying or I am, I would have definitely replied, “I am praying using Niebuhr’s words.” Actually these lines are one of the most wonderful prayers I have ever come across (and this is totally my personal experience, you might disagree).
I can very well imagine the situation if God grants me that prayer – wisdom to differentiate between things that I cannot change and those that I can. Life would be all the more easier and smoother. But then why would God do that!!! This complexity of life is what gives life its mysterious character.
We often are entangled in trying to change the things that are not under our control. And at times we simply give in to our fate when we could modify it. We simply lack the courage to do that.
Life often presents such situation before us that is not very easy to comprehend. And we are simply lost in trying to make out what life has in store for us. But then as they say, life is like an onion, you peel off layer by layer to find that there’s nothing remaining in it.
Sometimes the onion might cause tears in your eyes. But then onions are meant to do that, isn’t it??? Fighting back the tear and hiding them behind your smile is the essence of life. This is what gives us the courage to move ahead...life goes on!

“If God answers all your prayers he is increasing you faith,
if He delays, he is increasing your patience,
if He doesn’t answer, He knows you can handle it perfectly.”     (anonymous)

6 comments:

KParthasarathi said...

It is the wisdom to know the difference that is crucial before accepting or changing the situations.This wisdom does not easily come by thereby making life what it is, a challenge, a trial, a blissful experience and what not.
Amrit in her wonderful style has articulated her thoughts clearly

Readers Dais said...

Hi! Amrit,

change is the most wanted change that everyone seeks for, still sometimes we are scared of the change,
liked ur referal on onion, but isnt it a relief if we vent out our tears once in a while :))

a nice quote to pray....

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Very nice quote

Dimps said...

Hello Amritbir ji,

How have you been? I hope all going good...
Now, about the article -- I always love your writing style. It is so well described... and wonderful content.
"Life often presents such situation before us that is not very easy to comprehend" -- Very true & good work!

Regards,
Dimple

Marja said...

Great post we have to take life as it comes. Although I take it with lots of tears, for the good and the bad I can't hide them I am such a sensitive cry baby

surjit said...

Yes, I agree. It is an inspiring prayer.Thanks for sharing.
God bless.