Sunday, June 13, 2010

Writing an Epitaph...shocked??

Pic src: Blank Epitaph

Epitaph may be seen as something that continues to live on even after a person has died. It is just like what we leave behind....I was reminded of John Keats’ epitaph: “Here lies the one whose name was writ in water.” Though Keats did not create something new for his epitaph, yet he used the idea contained in the lines written by Beaumont and Fletcher in their play ‘Philaster’. Keats’ epitaph led me to search for some more interesting epitaphs. Some of the brilliant ones I would like to share here:
• “A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.” – This is the line written on Alexander the Great’s grave but the author is unknown.
• “That’s all folks”, is what Melvin Jerome “Mel” Blanc, an American voice actor and comedian, chose to write for his epitaph. This line was the trademark line of cartoon character Porky Pig, whose voice was provided by Blanc for many years.
• “This is the last of Earth! I am content!” – It was John Quincy Adams, an American lawyer, diplomat and a politician, who wrote this wonderful statement for himself.
• “Called back”, is what the famous American author Emily Dickinson wrote as her epitaph.
Reading all these and many more, I was wondering if I was given a chance what I would like my epitaph to be. A tough task! But then an interesting one...after all, we would all love to leave behind footprints. We all would love to be remembered when we depart and that too in a special way.
Now I had a task at hand, I had to think of an epitaph for myself (though I know I would never get an opportunity to use that epitaph because that is not a part of my culture and religion). So let me think what I would like to include....
It would be something like:
•No matter what you do, you have to lick dust finally!
•Returning to dust? Nah!!! I’ll be back again to haunt you :)
•See you again! Till then don’t rest in peace that I have gone!!!
•I hope I am still there in your memories! May be a trace only!
•A space in your heart is all I want!
•Have I earned this place??? Oh yes, I sacrificed my life for this.
I couldn’t shortlist one out of those mentioned above. May be till I need them I am able to zero in on just one of them. So keeping my fingers crossed till then...that is because I don’t want to use them so soon; I still want to do many things...still want to make more efforts to realise my dreams, still want to do things that are somewhat incomplete.....I have miles to go before I sleep...

4 comments:

A New Beginning said...

I had miles to go...but it was time to sleep ;)howz dt!!

Nice Epitaphs Amrit, a great post...really different and funny!

सुरेन्द्र "मुल्हिद" said...

you know my name...so craft it there ;-)

beautiful composition!

surjit said...

A timely reminder...

Bikramjit said...

very true.. we have so much to do but dont you think its us as humans , why cant we just be happy and suffice with what we have .. once we get something or once we finish doing one thing there is always another something to get ...

I liked this article, excellent.

A lot of task will be complete if we start to get fulfilled .. :) what say .. dont know if it makes sense or anything ...