Monday, January 28, 2019

Sant Maskeen Ji: In his own words (translated from Punjabi)


Journey of life
In his own words

I was born to Mata Ram Kaur ji at S. Kartar Singh ji’s house in Banun district, tehsil ‘Lucky Marravat’ in 1934. My birth place was Banun that was a part of the state of Sirhind (Frontier) that had six districts. The rest five districts were – Hazara, Mardaan, Peshawar, Kuhaant and Dera Ismail Khan.
In my childhood I went to our village primary school. It was with God’s grace that there started emerging in me a poet. At times I uttered such phrases that my friends playing with me were so taken aback and they enjoyed listening to them.
The state of Sirhind was such where the Hindu and Muslim lived together peacefully and they were all so full of respect and love for their religion. That is why every child took it upon himself as his duty to go the gurudwara twice a day. Every child wanted to listen to Rehras Sahib being recited and chanting the Aarti loudly. The child, who did not go to the gurudwara was not taken as a good child.
I too became a part of a group of children and without fail I daily recited Japji Sahib and with much eagerness listened to recitation of Rehras Sahib and chanted Aarti. Playing, studying and observing daily Gurbani routine were the things that were a part and parcel of my childhood.
After passing out from class fourth from Khalsa primary school, I took admission in Government High School. With God’s grace I remained a topped there also, due to which I was as always made to sit in front only. I was receiving affection and encouragement from each of the teachers and the head master.
Things were sailing smoothly with love and encouragement, when something happened. The country was divided. There were four of us in the family – mother; father; sister Sujan Kaur, who was two years elder to me; me and one younger brotheryounger brother had succumbed to the chicken pox two years back. I must have been around twelve years old when India’s partition happened. The announcement of the formation of Pakistan had still not been made but Suba Sirhind witnessed dacoities, fires and murders in every nook and corner.
The partition of the country had been effected on the basis of religion. Leaving Laki Maravvat was very painful. I was not attached to this place just because it was my native land, rather I had a host of other memories too associated with this place. I used to go to river Gambhila to bathe there daily. The river was known by two names – the place where it originated it was called ‘Tochi’, but at our place it was referred to as ‘Gambhila’. Further ahead this river joined the Sindh river in the Indus valley.
After bathing in the river, I used to sit by the river side and recite Gurbani. I still cherish those wonderful days. There used to be handpumps at our homes from where we could draw out water. In case we required a larger quantity of water we used to draw it out from the river and then needed an ox or the small horse to carry the load home. Hence, a large number of people went to the river to take a bath. I too went there in the morning and then after reciting Gurbani for a while there, I came back home and after having breakfast, took my bag, and then after paying obeisance at the gurudwara reached Khalsa Primary School. Bhai Pairhha Singh was the headmaster of the school, who was a very religious-minded man. His affectionate behaviour still fills me with fresh vigour and courage.
Finally I had to leave my native place. I secretly wished that we would be able to come back to my place of birth after a few days. But that was not to be. We reached Delhi after a few days and from there we were sent to Alwar in a train.

No comments: